Connect with us


Deiyai ​​shootings indicated gross human rights violations



Frits Ramandey, Komnas HAM Perwakilan Papua, saat membesuk korban penembakan Deiyai di RSUD Nabire (3/8) – Jubi/Titus Ruban

Jayapura, Jubi – Deiyai ​​shooting that has killed Yulianus Pigai and wounded 16 others, is said to have fulfilled elements of gross human rights violations because the purpose of the shooting is suspected to be exterminate or deadly.

It was in the spotlight of Legal Aid Institute, Assessment and Development of Legal Aid (LP3BH) Manokwari, through its release on Thursday (August 3). According to LP3BH Director, Yan Warinusi, police officers are strongly indicted for crimes of genocide and crimes against humanity as regulated in Article 7 of the Human Rights Court Law No 26/2000.

“It appears from the injuries suffered by Yulius Pigai and the 16 other victims who were not shot with rubber bullets, as well as the facts and evidence that they were not shot to be paralyzed, but allegedly shot to exterminate or killed,” Warinussi based on LP3BH sources in Waghete, Deiyai.

On that basis LP3BH requested an independent investigation that could be conducted under the support and facilities of national human rights commission (KOMNAS HAM) as well as local churches and Paniai Customary Council.

Related to the investigation team, Papua Police Chief Inspector General (Pol) Boy Rafli Amar told reporters in Jayapura, (August 4) that he had formed an investigative team consisting of Kabid Propam (security and profession division), Brimob (mobile brigade), Kabid Kum.Direskrim (criminal division) who would joined with KOMNAS HAM representatives of Papua who has visited Deiyai ​​recently.

“We will see how the procedure in handling the community action, we want to see facts and what was really happened, action and reaction,” the police chief said.

He also said, the Propam will deal with the applicable legal provisions against members of the Police, including the regulation of the Kapolri (perkap) that governs the mass handling.

On that occasion, Kapolda also apologized to the Papuan community, especially the families of the victims allegedly shot by members of Brimob and police in Oneibo Village, Tigi District, Deiyai ​​Regency, on August 1.

“Papua Police apologized for the incident in Deiyai, we apologize to the people of Papua, especially the families of the people who were hit by officers,” Boy Rafli Amar.

According to Boy Rafli weapons the officers who did the shooting have been confiscated. “It’s done. Regarding live ammunition, the officer had two bullets, rubber bullets and live ammunition. Most importantly, the legality of its use is valid or not. Can be accounted for or not,” he said.

The shot was blamed on the orders of Tigi police chief

An eyewitness to the shooting incident in Waghete, with initials NP admitted to Jubi that he was witnessing the shooting was done on the orders of Tigi police chief, N. Raini who brought the police and Brimob troops to the scene.

“At that time, Tigi Police Chief, Raini with members of Brimob. Upon arrival, the police chief ordered the firing. I witness it myself,” said NP, an eyewitness to Jubi in Waghete (August 4).

Once ordered, according to him, the explosion of gun sounds like water-flowing, “so many people got shot,” NP said and add that the shot was aimed not up to the sky.

“They measure that fit-pas fitting men, especially teenagers. The shoot did not go to the sky, but straight (toward) people. If he (Kapolsek) is not to command how his men might do the shooting,” said NP.

Related to the shootings in the field, the Papua Police Chief promised that the relevant police officers should be investigated, both Brimob members and members of the Tigi Police station who were at the site. According to him already about seven people have been questioned since yesterday.

Legal settlement

Separately, senior lawyer for Human Rights on Papua, Gustaf Kawer admitted pessimism about the performance of KOMNAS HAM related to Deiyai ​​case.

“I want to say a bit rough, KOMNAS HAM should stop the ‘human rights tour’,” said Kawer to Jubi, Friday (August 4). He suspects Komnas HAM’s command to the representatives of KOMNAS HAM Papua to go to the field would only be a mere tour.

“If they have come down the field, the report has been clear, either human rights violations or not. Surprisingly hat is hardly the case. Many institutions check and visited the crime scene. All became fond of the crime scene but there was never any follw up to the legal process,” he said while pointing out the same thing happened in the case of Paniai Shootings December 7, 2014.

But he still hopes KOMNAS HAM would not repeat its mistake for Deiyai ​​Case August 1, and invites all parties and human rights workers to work together to solve the case. “We are guarded together until the legal process,” he said. (*)



Editor: Zely Ariane

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


The story of illegal logging from the forests of Papua



Illegal timbers – an illustration.

Jayapura, Jubi – Tempo journalist Avit Hidayat shared his experience in doing an investigation about the circulation of illegal timbers from Papua’s forest as a resource person for the discussion about “ Papua’s Forest and Logging Disputes”.

Auriga Nusantara, Eyes on the Forest, Tempo Institute, Free Press Unlimited, and Tempo Media Grup held this forum in Jakarta, Monday, 28 January 2019 and attended by other resource persons, such as Laode M. Syarif (KPK commissionaire), Rasio Ridho Sani (Gakkum-KLHK), Hilman Nugroho (PHPL-KLHK) Muhamad Kosar (JPIK), Timotius Murib (Majelis Rakyat Papua) and Papuan stakeholders from indigenous peoples, Papuan Parliament and Papua Provincial Forestry Office.

In the discussion, Avit said it is essential for the public to know about the situation in Papua. “The tropical forests in Papua are the last (forests) in Indonesia, while the Merbau wood which is the Papuan endemic trees have been becoming the target of the international market,” he said. 

Furthermore, Avid said he conducted the investigation in many different places and interviewed many resource persons; and in Papua, the Tempo team went further to the logging sites. There, they witnessed how the workers who come from other regions carried out the illegal logging activity. They also met transporters, woodmasters, drivers, and logging company staffs.

“And the most important thing is we met the supplier. The supplier is a mediator of the logging companies who play a role to bargain with ‘ondo’—the tribal chief–for compensation. For example, if in a village there are common indigenous lands, the supplier comes to measuring the areas, and give payment to indigenous peoples.”

In their investigation, the Tempo team also met the owners of a logging company who later admitted about the illegal logging activity.  However, they called it the unregistered community logging.

Meanwhile, in Aroba Sub-district of Teluk Bintuni, Papua Barat, the team went to the forest areas of the company who received the Business License for the Utilization of Natural Forest and Timber Product (IUPHHK-HA) that formerly known as a Forest Concession Permit (HPH). There, the team found the manipulation of a wood barcode. For instance, the barcode for ketapang wood is used for Merbau wood.

Moreover, the team also investigated the primary industry in Papua, Surabaya, Lumajang, Gresik by tracing the distribution of logs. Here, they found another finding, namely the fake transport data and officials’ involvement, whereas the illegal retribution practice has also become their another concern.

In their journey from Sarmi to Jayapura Municipality, the team discovered 25 retribution posts that consist of the indigenous institution, police (military) and Forestry Office. “This is the fact that we found, but I couldn’t capture it because it was too risky. We even witness a military truck used to transport the logs.”

Furthermore, the Tempo team met the export logging companies and found those companies able to export up to 6,000-meter cubic annually, while based on the Forest Product Information Management System (SIPUH), they only allowed to export around 100-meter cubic.

“In Surabaya, we went to a barge and talked with an officer. He said not all logs are given barcode. A few logging companies intentionally inserted non-barcode logs or illegal logs in there. They are mostly the HPH holders, and they even put the timbers between the logs.”

However, all these findings did not include in the audit industry report registered in the Timber Legality and Verification System Legality and Verification System (SVLK) which consist of the Assessment Agency for Sustainable Forest Production Management (LP-PHPL) and Timber Verification Agency (LV-LK). Both agencies are responsible for assessing the sustainable forest product management and verify the legality aspect of timber based on the system and standards set by the government.

“We also got the information about the involvement of LV-LK and LP-PHPL, which means they play around with such companies and culprits from the forestry office. I think the KPK has identified these cases.”

In the meantime, a resource person from the National Accreditation Committee (KAN) acknowledged that there were bribery practices in the LV-LK. The audit report had often finished before the field assessment.

Meanwhile, the participants appreciated the findings of Tempo’s investigation. They expected the government to find a solution immediately, whether it’s a regulation or supervision and law enforcement.

On the other hand, a representative of LV-LK objected this report regarding the bribery practices in his institution. But Avit said until now none of the resource persons withdrew their statements and opposed the result of the team’s investigation.

Meanwhile, Agung Wijaya, Avit’s editor for this covered story, said he was worried about Avit’s safety during the investigation. But finally, this report was completed and published.

He further said Tempo had traced the case of illegal logging since 2017. Thus, publishing the investigation report becomes a moral burden for Tempo. Therefore Tempo will continue to monitor this issue and welcome other stakeholders who attended this forum for further discussion.

Through this coverage, Tempo attempted to look the case thoroughly even though it might not give a solution because the solution is actually in the hand of all of you (who come to this forum).” (*)


Reporter: Timoteus Marten

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading


Indonesian military to complete Trans-Papua Highway



Indonesian soldiers participate in a major military jungle warfare exercise in Poso, in central Sulawesi island, on March 31, 2015. -Photo: AFP

Papua, Jubi – Officials working on a troubled road project in Papua say Indonesia’s military will complete the job this year.

In December, at least 16 Indonesians working on the Trans-Papua Highway in Nduga province were massacred by fighters from the West Papua Liberation Army.

The project was put on hold with the military saying it would take over work on the 4000 kilometre highway.

Combat engineers will reportedly carry out the construction, with hundreds of extra security personnel deployed to the area.

Detik News reports a military battalion has been assigned to the building of the project’s remaining 16 bridges.

Indonesian army engineers had already been working on the Trans-Papua Highway project for a number of years.

Military involvement in the project was cited by the Liberation Army as a central reason for killing the road workers, who were suspected of being soldiers. (*)



Continue Reading


Indonesian soldier dead after attack at Papua airport



Members of the Indonesian Army in Papua. -Photo: AFP

Papua, Jubi – Indonesia’s military has evacuated the body of a soldier killed at an airport in Papua’s Highlands on Monday.

Xinhua reported that gunmen shot at an arriving aircraft carrying soldiers at Mapenduma airport of Nduga district, leaving one soldier dead.

Military spokesman Colonel Muhammad Aidi said when the plane was about to land, it was shot at, and soldiers who were guarding the airport shot back, triggering gunfire exchange.

He said the gunmen retreated and escaped to the forest and the plane landed.

Tempo reported that two soldiers were shot, and hospitalised, with one dying later.

The soldier’s body has been evacuated to Papua’s provincial capital Jayapura,

He is the latest apparent victim in the Highlands conflict between guerilla forces of the West Papua Liberation Army and Indonesian security forces that intensified last year. (*)



Continue Reading