Connect with us

Human Right

Briefly arrested for commemorating May 1, Jayapura Resort Police released dozen KNPB activists



Illustration on the condition of KNPB secretariat in Sentani, Jayapura Regency, after the police repaint their wall on 1st December 2016 – Jubi/Yance Wenda

Jayapura, Jubi –  Jayapura Resort Police said that they had sent dozens of West Papua National Committee (KNPB) arrested in Sentani, Jayapura Regency, Monday (May 1), when they were about to hold the commemoration of Papua Annexation Day, May 1, 1963.

Jayapura Police Chief, AKBP. Gustav Urbinas confirmed that they had ‘secured’ as many as 53 people of KNPB supporters. However, after being identified, they were then discharged.

“It has been released at 16:00 PM, we only identified their data, questioned, then sent them home.”

They were ‘secured’ when they are going to hold activities. “But its activities without notice to the police,” said AKBP. Gustav Urbinas to Jubi via phone, Monday (May 1).

According to him, since the action will be conducted in the community area and involves many people, the police took the masses to the local Polres to ask about the activities undertaken and its purpose.

“They held an activity in Sekertariat KNPB in BTN Purwodadi,” he said.

The police chief also denied the information obtained by Jubi mentioning that in the police has damaged the Sentani KNPB Secretariat and ransacked the property of KNPB and public around the secretariat.

“Oh, no, no, we only secure materials that are against the Unitary Republic of Indonesia, materials such as KNPB flags, cloths, documents and all that, and personal items have been returned,” he said.

Agus Pahabol, secretary of KNPB Sentani confirmed to Jubi May 1 that their secretariat were being raid and damaged the facilities and repainted the walls of the house. They also seized KNPB’s belongings.

He confirmed 53 people as the first arrest, but he said dozens to 200 other were also taken away and brought to the police station but they were kept at the front of the police station.

Bazoka Logo, spokesman of KNPB Central as quoted from said that at 07.36 AM, the police came to the Secretariat KNPB Sentani region and forced the masses to disperse.(*)

Reporter              : Arjuna Pedemme

Editor                    : Zely Ariane


Indonesian soldier dead after attack at Papua airport



Members of the Indonesian Army in Papua. -Photo: AFP

Papua, Jubi – Indonesia’s military has evacuated the body of a soldier killed at an airport in Papua’s Highlands on Monday.

Xinhua reported that gunmen shot at an arriving aircraft carrying soldiers at Mapenduma airport of Nduga district, leaving one soldier dead.

Military spokesman Colonel Muhammad Aidi said when the plane was about to land, it was shot at, and soldiers who were guarding the airport shot back, triggering gunfire exchange.

He said the gunmen retreated and escaped to the forest and the plane landed.

Tempo reported that two soldiers were shot, and hospitalised, with one dying later.

The soldier’s body has been evacuated to Papua’s provincial capital Jayapura,

He is the latest apparent victim in the Highlands conflict between guerilla forces of the West Papua Liberation Army and Indonesian security forces that intensified last year. (*)



Continue Reading


Truth and Reconciliation Commission might not be working in resolving human rights violations in Papua



Workshop on the settlement of Human Rights Violations in Wasior 2001 and Wamena 2004: “Opportunities and Challenges”. – Jubi/Arjuna Pademme

Jayapura, Jubi – A human rights activist in Papua Iwan Niode said the Truth and Reconciliation Commission might be not useful in resolving the human rights violations in Papua due to the absence of regulation.

In the workshop ‘the settlement of Human Rights Violations in Wasior 2001 and Wamena 2004: “Opportunities and Challenges”‘ held by the Papua Democracy Alliance on Thursday (24/1/2019), Niode said the Constitutional Court had cancelled the Regulation No 27 of 2004.

“This is understandable why such a plan to resolve the human rights violations cases via the Truth and Reconciliation Commission has stopped until now. Although the Special Autonomy Law indeed recommended it, there is no specific regulation supporting the TRC to conduct its task,” said Niode.

Moreover, Niode said the TRC should not only support the human rights victims to speak but also to cover the whole stories of both sides, victims and perpetrators. That makes the resolution through the TRC never been successful.

Meanwhile, a lecturer of International Relations of the Faculty of Social and Politics Science of the University of Cenderawasih, Elvira Rumkabu, thought that besides it needs the judicial process enforcement, the settlement of human rights violations in Papua also need to bring justice to the victims, how they can get their rights for justice.

“If this injury remains not cured, it would spread anywhere towards many issues. The issue of personal identity, for example,” said Rumkabu. (*)


Reporter: Arjuna Pademme

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading


Call for Pacific regional groups to investigate Papua chemical attacks




West Papuan independence leader Benny Wenda. Photo: RNZI/ Koroi Hawkins

Jayapura, Jubi – The United Liberation Movement for West Papua is calling for Pacific regional groups to investigate the alleged use of chemical weapons in Indonesia’s Papua region.

The movement’s chair, Benny Wenda, said the Pacific Islands Forum and the Melanesian Spearhead Group should urgently send fact-finding missions to Nduga regency.

This comes after unverified reports of the suspected use of white phosphorus weapons by Indonesia’s military against civilians in Nduga.

Indonesia last month called the claims “totally baseless”.

But Mr Wenda said its security operations in Nduga had created a “humanitarian crisis”.

In a statement, he said Indonesia should also grant the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights access to West Papua to complete its own fact-finding mission.

Mr Wenda said humanitarian aid organisations should also be allowed in to Nduga to “relieve the suffering of West Papuans”.

A massive joint police and military operation has been underway in the remote Highlands regency, as well as neighbouring regencies, since December, in a hunt for members of the West Papua Liberation Army.

The armed group is responsible for the killings of at least 16 Indonesian construction workers and one soldier in November.

The joint operation has sparked sporadic shootouts between the Liberation Army and Indonesia’s military, with at least one soldier and one rebel fighter shot dead this year. (*)



Continue Reading