Connect with us

Human Right

We’ll Never Forget About Murder 13 Years Ago



Theys Hiyo Eluay (IST)

Theys Hiyo Eluay (IST)

Jayapura, Jubi – Thirteen years ago, on Saturday, 10 November 2001 at 10:30 Papua time, the Tribuana Taskforce Unit Commander (Military Special Force), Colonel Infantry Hartomo came to pick up the Papuan pro-independence leader Theys Hiyo Eluay at his house. Thirty minutes later Eluay departed from his house to Matoa Hotel to attend the Papua Presidium Council’s meeting. But he never returned home in Sentani.  

The next day, on 11 November 2001, he was found dead in his car at KM 9, Koya, Muara tami, Jayapura. His body was found in a sitting position with two legs stretching forward and red marks on his belly. No one denied that he was murdered.

Two years later, seven members of the Tribuana Taskforce Unit of the Military Special Force were brought  to the Supreme Military Court in Surabaya. On 21 April 2003, the judge convicted them of murdering Theys Hiyo Eluay. They are the Lieutenant Infantry Hartomo, Major Infantry Donny Hutabarat, First Lieutenant Infantry Agus Supriyanto, Soldier Chief Achmad Zulfahmi, Captain Infantry Rinardo, First Sergeant Asrial and First Sergeant Laurensius.

And years later, the government still forgets that not only has the crime  taken Eluay’s life, but his driver Aristoteles Masoka, who was 23 years old, were missing and never to be found again.

Rights activists who investigated the murder case of Eluay found a witness who later admitted to taking Aristoteles Masoka to the Tribuana Taskforce Unit Office in Hanurata-Hamadi.

The witnesses admitted they were at around the Pemda I Entrop-Jayapura housing when Eluay was kidnapped. They saw a dark blue car headed the same dark color car that later known as Eluay’s. Two men came out of the headed car and punched on Aristoteles and tried to pull the car’s door. They could seize the Eluay’s car and drove until 50 meters from the scene.

Masoka was thrown out of the car. He run and asked the witnesses to drop him to the Tribuana Taskforce Unit Office at Hanurata-Hamadi. They dropped him around five meters from the office. This is the last information founded about Aristoteles Masoka, although later the civil society group’s investigation mentioned a witness who attended the same event that also attended by Eluay before he got killed, saw someone embraced by two men came into the room from the entry.

Until now, Aristoteles Masoka remains a mystery. If the murder investigation of Theys Eluay ended with the sentence of the seven members of Military Special Force at the Military Court, but the missing of Aristoteles Masoka who should be a key witness for the murder case has not yet investigated.

Meanwhile, on the other hand, the convicted soldiers after their sentence continue to get carrier promotion. A researcher and freelance journalist Made Supriatna wrote about it in the web

They might be forgot, but we never forget! (Victor Mambor)

Continue Reading
1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Indonesian soldier dead after attack at Papua airport



Members of the Indonesian Army in Papua. -Photo: AFP

Papua, Jubi – Indonesia’s military has evacuated the body of a soldier killed at an airport in Papua’s Highlands on Monday.

Xinhua reported that gunmen shot at an arriving aircraft carrying soldiers at Mapenduma airport of Nduga district, leaving one soldier dead.

Military spokesman Colonel Muhammad Aidi said when the plane was about to land, it was shot at, and soldiers who were guarding the airport shot back, triggering gunfire exchange.

He said the gunmen retreated and escaped to the forest and the plane landed.

Tempo reported that two soldiers were shot, and hospitalised, with one dying later.

The soldier’s body has been evacuated to Papua’s provincial capital Jayapura,

He is the latest apparent victim in the Highlands conflict between guerilla forces of the West Papua Liberation Army and Indonesian security forces that intensified last year. (*)



Continue Reading


Truth and Reconciliation Commission might not be working in resolving human rights violations in Papua



Workshop on the settlement of Human Rights Violations in Wasior 2001 and Wamena 2004: “Opportunities and Challenges”. – Jubi/Arjuna Pademme

Jayapura, Jubi – A human rights activist in Papua Iwan Niode said the Truth and Reconciliation Commission might be not useful in resolving the human rights violations in Papua due to the absence of regulation.

In the workshop ‘the settlement of Human Rights Violations in Wasior 2001 and Wamena 2004: “Opportunities and Challenges”‘ held by the Papua Democracy Alliance on Thursday (24/1/2019), Niode said the Constitutional Court had cancelled the Regulation No 27 of 2004.

“This is understandable why such a plan to resolve the human rights violations cases via the Truth and Reconciliation Commission has stopped until now. Although the Special Autonomy Law indeed recommended it, there is no specific regulation supporting the TRC to conduct its task,” said Niode.

Moreover, Niode said the TRC should not only support the human rights victims to speak but also to cover the whole stories of both sides, victims and perpetrators. That makes the resolution through the TRC never been successful.

Meanwhile, a lecturer of International Relations of the Faculty of Social and Politics Science of the University of Cenderawasih, Elvira Rumkabu, thought that besides it needs the judicial process enforcement, the settlement of human rights violations in Papua also need to bring justice to the victims, how they can get their rights for justice.

“If this injury remains not cured, it would spread anywhere towards many issues. The issue of personal identity, for example,” said Rumkabu. (*)


Reporter: Arjuna Pademme

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading


Call for Pacific regional groups to investigate Papua chemical attacks




West Papuan independence leader Benny Wenda. Photo: RNZI/ Koroi Hawkins

Jayapura, Jubi – The United Liberation Movement for West Papua is calling for Pacific regional groups to investigate the alleged use of chemical weapons in Indonesia’s Papua region.

The movement’s chair, Benny Wenda, said the Pacific Islands Forum and the Melanesian Spearhead Group should urgently send fact-finding missions to Nduga regency.

This comes after unverified reports of the suspected use of white phosphorus weapons by Indonesia’s military against civilians in Nduga.

Indonesia last month called the claims “totally baseless”.

But Mr Wenda said its security operations in Nduga had created a “humanitarian crisis”.

In a statement, he said Indonesia should also grant the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights access to West Papua to complete its own fact-finding mission.

Mr Wenda said humanitarian aid organisations should also be allowed in to Nduga to “relieve the suffering of West Papuans”.

A massive joint police and military operation has been underway in the remote Highlands regency, as well as neighbouring regencies, since December, in a hunt for members of the West Papua Liberation Army.

The armed group is responsible for the killings of at least 16 Indonesian construction workers and one soldier in November.

The joint operation has sparked sporadic shootouts between the Liberation Army and Indonesia’s military, with at least one soldier and one rebel fighter shot dead this year. (*)



Continue Reading