Connect with us

Human Right

When the autopsy of Danny Kogoya’s Body will take?



Danny Kogoya (Jubi)

Danny Kogoya (Jubi)

Jayapura, 2/1 (Jubi) – The autopsy toward Danny Kogoya’s body on demand of his family is not yet clear. Papua Human Rights Defender activist, MatiusMurib, state the negotiation between the family and the Government of Indonesia are still continue.

“From our last negotiations with Kogoya’s family, the Consulate of Indonesia and the Office of Civilian and Security in Vanimo, PNG, dated 20 december 2013, it has resulted some points of agreements. One point is his family requested the autopsy of Danny Kogoya’s body to prove the cause of his death. However, it is not yet known when the autopsy is scheduled. The family asked that the autopsy should conduct in the hospital in Vanimo. Thus, there is still a tug of war between the Kogoya’s family and the GoI,” said MatiusMurib via his cellphone on Thursday (2/1).

According to him, the other point that resulted in the negotiation are the funeral procession will be carried out after the autopsy, agree that both side will keep the security situation in peacefully. All parties were asked to contribute in accelerating the handling process of this case, to not get the impression of ignorant.
“We will continue to mediate the case in order to achieve the goal for equally well received by the Government of PNG and Indonesia, in particularly to fulfill the sense of justice and peace, especially the family of the victim. May the spirit of peaceful Christmas 2013 and New Year 2013, made us more wise and prudent, observe and respect the human rights for all human beings,” said Murib.

But different fromMurib statement, the autopsy plan, according to the Consulate of Indonesia, will be taken in 7 January 2014. JiharGultom, the Head of Indonesian Consulate in Vanimo, said to Jubi, Thursday (2/1) that the agreement to do the autopsy was decided in 23 December 2013. In the time when this decision was made, joint the family of Danny Kogoya and the Government of Sandaun and representative of the Government of Port Moresby.
“We met Kogoya’s family and the Government of Sandaun before Christmas. There are also 3 delegates from Port Moresby. In respect of the celebration of Christmas, the autopsy is scheduled to be conducted before 7 January 2014 by a doctor from Port Moresby in Vanimo,” said Jihar Gultom.

Represent Danny Kogoya’s family, JefreyPagawak when being contacted by Jubi, admitted that the family has met the Government of PNG. Indonesian Consulate in Vanimo to discuss the determination of the autopsy’s schedule.
“Indonesian Consul in Vanimo at first did not agree about the autopsy. They wanted to send the Danny’s body to Jayapura immediately for equally well received by both parties, that was their reason. But, when the authority of PNG who represented by Moses Pei from Foreign Affairs Division of the Government of PNG came to Vanimo to discuss this situation, they were finally agreed. We, as representative of the family, met Jihar Gultom, Head of Indonesian Consulate in Vanimo, yesterday, Monday (23/12-red). Previously, we have met Mr.Moses Pei from the Foreign Affairs of the Government of PNG to agree that in respect to Christmas and New Year, Danny’s body will be autopsied after new year celebration, before 7 January,” explained Jefrey.

Danny Kogoya died in the early December 2013 in PNG. He was called as leader of the National Liberation Army of Free Papua Movement. He was detained in MapolrestaJayapura in 2012 and accused as person behind the series of shooting actions in 2011 in Jayapura Municipality and surrounding areas.

But he was released on Saturday, 11 May 2013 for not guilty. After his release, Danny Kogoya crossed to Papua New Guinea to live with his family but in early December 2013, he passed away but the cause of his death was not exactly known.

The representative of Indonesian Consulate clarified that the cause of Danny Kogoya’s death was the liver cancer. But in other side, the family representative in Vanimosaid that Danny was being killed gradually through a kind of virus that was injected when he got through surgery of leg amputation. (Jubi/Arjuna/P. Maizier)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Indonesian soldier dead after attack at Papua airport



Members of the Indonesian Army in Papua. -Photo: AFP

Papua, Jubi – Indonesia’s military has evacuated the body of a soldier killed at an airport in Papua’s Highlands on Monday.

Xinhua reported that gunmen shot at an arriving aircraft carrying soldiers at Mapenduma airport of Nduga district, leaving one soldier dead.

Military spokesman Colonel Muhammad Aidi said when the plane was about to land, it was shot at, and soldiers who were guarding the airport shot back, triggering gunfire exchange.

He said the gunmen retreated and escaped to the forest and the plane landed.

Tempo reported that two soldiers were shot, and hospitalised, with one dying later.

The soldier’s body has been evacuated to Papua’s provincial capital Jayapura,

He is the latest apparent victim in the Highlands conflict between guerilla forces of the West Papua Liberation Army and Indonesian security forces that intensified last year. (*)



Continue Reading


Truth and Reconciliation Commission might not be working in resolving human rights violations in Papua



Workshop on the settlement of Human Rights Violations in Wasior 2001 and Wamena 2004: “Opportunities and Challenges”. – Jubi/Arjuna Pademme

Jayapura, Jubi – A human rights activist in Papua Iwan Niode said the Truth and Reconciliation Commission might be not useful in resolving the human rights violations in Papua due to the absence of regulation.

In the workshop ‘the settlement of Human Rights Violations in Wasior 2001 and Wamena 2004: “Opportunities and Challenges”‘ held by the Papua Democracy Alliance on Thursday (24/1/2019), Niode said the Constitutional Court had cancelled the Regulation No 27 of 2004.

“This is understandable why such a plan to resolve the human rights violations cases via the Truth and Reconciliation Commission has stopped until now. Although the Special Autonomy Law indeed recommended it, there is no specific regulation supporting the TRC to conduct its task,” said Niode.

Moreover, Niode said the TRC should not only support the human rights victims to speak but also to cover the whole stories of both sides, victims and perpetrators. That makes the resolution through the TRC never been successful.

Meanwhile, a lecturer of International Relations of the Faculty of Social and Politics Science of the University of Cenderawasih, Elvira Rumkabu, thought that besides it needs the judicial process enforcement, the settlement of human rights violations in Papua also need to bring justice to the victims, how they can get their rights for justice.

“If this injury remains not cured, it would spread anywhere towards many issues. The issue of personal identity, for example,” said Rumkabu. (*)


Reporter: Arjuna Pademme

Editor: Pipit Maizier

Continue Reading


Call for Pacific regional groups to investigate Papua chemical attacks




West Papuan independence leader Benny Wenda. Photo: RNZI/ Koroi Hawkins

Jayapura, Jubi – The United Liberation Movement for West Papua is calling for Pacific regional groups to investigate the alleged use of chemical weapons in Indonesia’s Papua region.

The movement’s chair, Benny Wenda, said the Pacific Islands Forum and the Melanesian Spearhead Group should urgently send fact-finding missions to Nduga regency.

This comes after unverified reports of the suspected use of white phosphorus weapons by Indonesia’s military against civilians in Nduga.

Indonesia last month called the claims “totally baseless”.

But Mr Wenda said its security operations in Nduga had created a “humanitarian crisis”.

In a statement, he said Indonesia should also grant the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights access to West Papua to complete its own fact-finding mission.

Mr Wenda said humanitarian aid organisations should also be allowed in to Nduga to “relieve the suffering of West Papuans”.

A massive joint police and military operation has been underway in the remote Highlands regency, as well as neighbouring regencies, since December, in a hunt for members of the West Papua Liberation Army.

The armed group is responsible for the killings of at least 16 Indonesian construction workers and one soldier in November.

The joint operation has sparked sporadic shootouts between the Liberation Army and Indonesia’s military, with at least one soldier and one rebel fighter shot dead this year. (*)



Continue Reading